background

Thursday, November 6, 2008

Snow Day

It snowed yesterday and I finally had to say good-bye to summer, warm weather, the leaves on my trees in the front yard. And I was sad. I hate winter! I hate scraping windows and shovelling sidewalks and de-icing the front porch and all of it! There, I think I got all of the bitterness out. I was driving to work today and there's an elementary school across the street from the office. I drove along the street and I laughed at the little boys (I suppose girls do it to, but I didn't see any today) gathered in front of the school scooping up snowballs and throwing snow around. And then as I passed the school and got to the playground and fields that are behind the school I counted not one, not three, but 7 or 8! giant snowballs. Obviously the kids were enjoying yesterday's snowfall pretty much most of the day, while I sat at work and groaned every time I caught a glimpse of the outside world through the windows. Just one more part of growing up, I guess. Snow no longer holds a fascination for me. I only think of the grown-up things like driving in it, knowing that the heating bill is about to skyrocket, wondering if I need a new ice scraper for the car, wondering if the ice scraper is even still IN the car. And then, I arrived home, safe and sound last night and the minute I walked in the door, Jaxton met me at the top of the stairs and he said, "Mommy, it snowed all day today! Can we make a snowman?" And just like that, I remembered why snow is fascinating. It covers the ground with possibility. Maybe this weekend, Jax and I will see what possibilities the snow has waiting for us in our own front yard.

No comments: