background

Saturday, May 1, 2010

Thoughts on grocery shopping

Today I did what I dread....I went grocery shopping, on a SATURDAY! Usually I have planned well enough that I am going on a Tuesday night or something, but I had no choice, today I had to brave the crowds. While I was at Walmart (yes, I know, they're evil, but I am a creature of habit) I had some startling thoughts:

When you're buying frozen foods do you ever wonder if the item you've just put in your cart was that random item that you always see shoved onto a shelf in the cereal aisle? I wonder, when the good folks of Walmart find those items after 8 or so hours spent NOT in the freezer, do they just throw them back into the freezer? Or do the responsible thing and throw them out?

Why is it that out of at least 4 carts to choose from I get the one with the crazy wheel that spins and squeaks? I even try testing them in the grocery cart selection area and inevitably the one I judge to be fine there has some sort of break down once it hits the grocery store area.

How come some cashiers appear to be fast and efficient when you're at the end of the line and once you commit yourself to that line everything breaks down? I am the WORST checkout line selector in the world. This is your warning, if you see me at the store DO NOT GET IN LINE BEHIND ME. Invariably the person in front of me will have no less than three items that do NOT have prices and/or barcodes on them and the price checks take HOURS. Or, like today, we have a minimum of four ads from various grocery stores and must price match EVERYTHING. Also, when it's finally my turn we must change cashiers......

I sound pretty whiney, don't I? So, here's why I'm glad I went to the store today:

I don't have to go back for at least a week. Just kidding! I was able to go to the store without kids, unlike some harried moms I saw. I had money to go to the store and buy groceries for my family. I now have a stocked fridge and cupboards and the fixings for two weeks worth of meals.

Coming up next: Jaxton's very first field trip! We are heading to the zoo on Monday and that should be an adventure! Take care friends!

2 comments:

Amber said...

Wal-Mart Amy, Wal-Mart? JK! You make me laugh! I used to like grocery shopping but now I dread it too! And you are wrong...I am the worst at picking lines!

Ariel said...

I hate grocery shopping too! I dread it every week! It's so sad :(